Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The fix is in

So that's it, Bush wins. You heard me correctly. Bush wins. Yeah, the guy with a 28% approval rating. The Senate has voted to immunize lawbreaking telecoms and cover George Bush's ass. They've also affirmed that if the President says so, it's legal. And what of the Fourth Ammendment to the US Constitution? Apparently, it isn't so fucking important after all.

Glenn Greenwald documents the atrocities here. And here's Jonathan Turley on Countdown once again, utterly astonished at what's happening:



Even though I'm not American, this is something that makes me so incredibly angry inside that I have difficulty even writing coherently about it. It's just such an obviously corrupt and unjust move by the Congress, but that's not what really pisses me off. No, what really pisses me off is what a stupid and inexplicable political move this is by the Dems.

I'm someone who wants to cheer for the Democrats. After 8 years of stunningly incompetent and criminal misrule by the Republicans, America desperately needs a strong, assertive Democratic administration and Democratic legislature. But there is no way to defend their actions today. It is a craven, even criminal, capitulation to an incredibly unpopular President. And Obama voted for it, contrary to all his earlier statements of opposition to telecom immunity, and his vow to support a filibuster of any bill that contained it. Oddly enough, Hillary Clinton voted against it. I applaud any Democrat who voted against this disgrace, but given her lack of interest in this issue in the past, I can't help but wonder if she's just trying to bolster her case for why she should be the nominee instead of Obama. Not that I can really fault her; if Obama continues to piss off his base and go back on prior promises, a convention fight may again become a possibility.

No comments: