Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Grumpy McCain

It's probably obvious at this point that I've lost whatever respect I once held for John McCain. The way he has run this campaign has been simply disgraceful. Nearly every sane position that he once held has been dropped in order to appeal to the Republican party's nutjob base. He has proven to be ignorant of economic policy and highly overrated on his understanding of foreign affairs. And his choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate has shown him to be a deeply unserious and desperate candidate who cares about nothing other than winning the Presidency.

So from my perspective, his interview today with the Des Moines Register (I'm really not sure why he's wasting his time in Iowa; Obama's got it sewn up) was very interesting. But in a morbidly fascinating kind of way.

Here is an angry McCain getting confronted with his sleazy lies about Obama, particularly the "kindergarten sex-ed" thing:



First, it's funny that he needs to ask for "examples". And then it's just downright scary to see him fully stand by all his vile bullshit, and bizarrely claim that he has "documentation" and information on his website that proves his case. This man is a sociopath.

Here he is defending his demagoguery on government health care even though he's been well served by government health care his entire fucking life:



His answer is downright bizarre. The transcript:

"You know that's an interesting statement, isn't it? And I have never been an astronaut, but I think I know the challenges of space. And I have never done a lot of things in my life that I think I am familiar with. I've always been a free enterprise person who thinks that families make the best decisions for themselves and their future...so the answer is that most of my life, in serving my country I have had health care. I did go a period of time where the health care wasn't very good."

First off, POW!

Second, his analogy is backwards. McCain, having had government subsidized health care his entire life, has had first hand experience seeing how well it works. To throw his silly analogy back at him, he is the astronaut, and his knowledge of the challenges of space is second to no one's. Government health care has served him pretty well apparently, since he could have certainly opted out and purchased the most expensive insurance available in the private sector. But he didn't.

Anyway, enough about Johnny Drama, I'm off to watch the French language debate since I'll be missing the English one tomorrow in favor of the American VP debate.

No comments: